Friday, July 30, 2010

plum pickin.





In this part of the country, there is a fruit indigenous to this area called sandplums.  they are the size of cherry but lighter in color.  they make delicious jelly.  i got up at 5:30 and went out with my cousins and picked these little sandplums off of their very thorny bushes amongst bees, wasps, grasshoppers, spiders and locusts (it really wasn’t as bad as it sounds) for 4 hours.  as a result, we have 51 lbs of sandplums.  totally worth the scratches on my hands as i will enjoy yummy jelly for the next year.  i will let you know how it goes when i make the jelly (it will be my first time without my grandma by my side!)
me in all my plum-picken glory.

2 comments:

  1. good to see someone livin' on the land and pickin' fruit with their parents/ grandparents :)
    we LOVE doing that in West Point! Homeade and fresh always taste soooooooooo much better.
    ejw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna taste it! But wow, what a woman you are! No way I would be among those critters, not even for yummy fruit! LOL Can't wait for football season to see you guys again. Miss you

    ReplyDelete